REQUEST FOR PROPOSALS for the safety and welfare of migrant workers and construction workers and
State Level Convergence Meeting of Different Departments
A State level convergence meeting on prevention of child labour was held in the Conference Hall of Labour Commissioner, Odisha, Bhubaneswar on 27.04.2012. The purpose of the meeting
was to discuss planned and concerted actions for prevention and elimination of child labour in the State. It was presided over by Dr. A.C. Padhiary, IAS, Labour Commissioner, Odisha.
Key Issues Discussed
• Survey and identification of child laborers in pilot districts.
• Focusing on child laborers and their families.
• Replicating key elements of the convergence model.
• Strengthening linkages between Central, State and District levels and within each of these levels.
• Wit hd ra wi ng a nd p re ve nt in g children (between 5-14 years) from hazardous work.
• Developing and/or further testing important interventions.
The Labour Commissioner, Odisha stressed on the fact that coordination among the departments working on elimination of child labour can go a long way if established sys tem of r epor ting and ana lyzi ng mec hani sms are outl ined . D i ffer ent departments have different roles to play in order to ensure that children removed from work are properly rehabilitated and do not go back into the work force. This is a collaborative effort to provide programme support in a coordinated manner to the on- going efforts of Government.